Sunday
Apr202014

July 15, 1918 - Current Santa Fe Depot

The above photo shows the current Santa Fe Depot while under construction in San Bernardino in 1917.  The $800,000 depot featured mission-style architecture with domes, towers and a tile roof.  It opened to the public on July 15, 1918.  

The depot was restored in 2002-2004 and today, the depot serves Amtrak and Metrolink passengers; and houses the offices of Metrolink; SANBAG (San Bernardino Associated Governments, a county transportation agency) and SCAG (Southern Californis Association of Gorvernments, the nation's largest metropolitian planning organization).  

It is also home to the San Bernardino History and Railroad Museum; the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society (SFRH&MS) which maintains the Western Archives of the Santa Fe Railroad; and the Iron Horse Cafe.

The depot is across the tracks from the BNSF intermodal facility.  Over 100 freight trains pass by the depot each day.

Click here for a photo history of the Santa Fe Depot from 1917 to 1940.

Santa Fe Depot still standing and open for business in San Bernardino