The San Bernardino Society of California Pioneers was formed on January 21, 1888. To become a member one had to be a male; a U.S. citizen; a resident of California before December 31, 1850; a resident of the County of San Bernardino at the time of its organization (April 26, 1853); or a male decedent of a person eligible for membership.
Over a period of time the pioneers build three log cabins to serve as a meeting place and a location to house historic document and artifacts. The first cabin was constructed in 1901 and the third and last cabin burned in 1973 destroying many historic items.
The San Bernardino Historical Society was formed in 1976 and in 1983 the two societies joined to become the San Bernardino Historical and Pioneer Society, with it's headquarters located at 8th and D Streets.
Click here to view a photo history of the Society.