* The USS San Bernardino, LST -1189, (named in honor of the City of San Bernardino) was commissioned on March 27, 1971.
* The ship was 522 feet long, 70 feet wide, had a top speed of 22 knots (25 mph) and was assigned the home port of San Diego, CA.
* Its crew consisted of 14 officers and 210 enlisted crew members.
* The ship carried 29 tanks & 350 combat troops while helicopters operated off the aft deck.
* The ship was armed with the 20mm Phalanx system and 2 twin 3-inch/50-caliber guns.
* The ship saw service in Vietnam and Desert Storm, was decommissioned on September 30, 1995, was sold to Chile and renamed Valdivia.
* Photographs and memoribilia from the ship and its crew can be seen in the San Bernardino History and Railroad Museum.
Offloading Its Cargo
* As the ship approaches shore or a landing dock, the bow of the ship will separate into two halves.
* A moveable ramp that has been stored on the ship's deck will be lowered to meet with the ground or dock.
* A fixed gantry extending upward and forward from the ship will use a series of steel cables to support the moveable deck.
* When in place the moveable deck will used to rapidly offload 29 tanks and 350 combat troops.